I was a little intimidated at first but, I relaxed some when we did the first muslins in cotton. Just happened to have this cute Little Mermaid fabric lying around. Boy, this dress pattern really made this cotton shine!
You can tell by the look on her face that she just loves this dress! She was so excited to show us all how great the twirl factor was on it!
When it was time to do the special occasion dress, I went to my local fabric store and bought a beautiful Brocade. I have never worked with this kind of fabric before. Washing the fabric was easy but when we got it out of the dryer it had frayed horribly! I serged every pattern piece on the edges and then serged every seam to make sure it was put together well with no more fraying. Extra time and work but, so worth it!
Here she is in the finished dress. She had to wear it to school and was so over the moon showing all of her friends!
Now in this dress with the twirl it looks like the butterflies are just flying! I love the way it came out! The dress was so perfect for this fabric.
I know so many of us sew for kids and grand kids for the holidays to have those special pictures taken. The Zahara dress is going to be in a lot of family photos this year. So easy to sew and with such beautiful results. I think that you are going to love it!
It is on sale now at the new release price of $6.00 so now is the time! Get those dresses done early this year!
– Medium Weight Woven Fabric for both Main and Lining – Suggested fabrics include: Cotton Lawn, Quilter’s Cotton, Gingham, Swiss dots, Eyelet, Voile, to name a few.
– For Special Occasion look, we recommend special occasion or fancier fabric than quilter’s cotton such as Cotton Satin Stretch, Lace, Satin, Silk, Neoprene, Poly Crepe, Georgette, Cotton Sateen, Brocade, Sequins. to name a few.
– 9” (or 22 cm) Invisible Zipper (Sizes 6m – 2T)
-14” (or 40 cm) Invisible Zipper (Sizes 3 -12)
– 54” or wider Tulle by yard (Optional)
*For the Peplum, you may use a shorter zipper or cut the ones suggested to size. The zipper should extend into the skrit at least 2”, so your child can easily slip into the dress.
The following tools are recommended:
– Invisible Zipper Foot (Optional)
– Walking foot (Optional)
– Regular zipper foot