Are mattress covers important for your bed? Well, every mattress requires a cover for luxury and to protect it from the effects of wear and tear. Early last year, I was looking for the best mattress cover. Of course, I was troubled by the age old question; should you buy or make your mattress cover?
If you want to get the right cover for your mattress, here you’ll find the help you need. Together, we’ll take a trip to both ‘worlds.’ Hopefully, at the end of our journey, we’ll have arrived at the best choice!
Buying a Mattress Cover
I found out that a majority of people will buy a new mattress cover because of two reasons. It’s either they want to protect their new mattress, or they just want to add some comfort to their beds. A good cover will protect your mattress from:
- Fluids and liquids – look for a waterproof mattress cover.
- Every day wear and tear – a simple cotton mattress cover.
- Bedbugs – a cover with fixed bedbug barriers.
- Dust mites, dust, and other allergens – a sheet with some anti-allergen properties!
If you’re looking for a comfortable mattress cover, some of the features you’ll need to look at include:
- Temperature control – buy mattress toppers made from natural fibers like down, wool or cotton.
- For adjusting to the shape of your body – a down-filled and fluffy mattress cover.
- More firmness – consider getting a Viscoelastic pad or latex mattress pad.
- For reducing motion – a mattress cover with latex or memory foam will decrease the transfer of body movements. So, one side won’t move that much while the other one turns.
Making a Mattress Cover
I know you may be asking yourself why people make their mattress covers. After all, isn’t it simpler to just buy them? However, you’ll soon realize that sewing your bedding can be quite useful. For instance, because I had a custom-made and unusually sized mattress, the cover I bought kept sliding off. However, once I decided to make a mattress cover, I made sure to include the right measurements.
If you are sensitive or allergic to certain chemicals, a home-made mattress topper is your best bet too! So, how can you make one?
- Mattress Pad + Fitted Sheet
For a custom fit mattress cover. I would recommend taking an already used sheet and then sewing in a mattress pad on top.
- Making a memory foam mattress cover
This is arguably the easiest way of making a comfortable cover. All you need to do is take time in coming up with the right measurements. I found that cutting a small piece of foam means that you’ll have to repeat the entire process!
- Sewing a rubber mattress cover
Are you potty training your child? If you are, then making your mattress cover is a preferable option. To make an excellent rubber cover, first, have the correct measurements. Afterwards, add the waterproof material of your choice.
A good, home-made mattress cover is healthy and safe for your child. Most importantly, it will be easier for you to clean and remove stains. Also, it dries up pretty fast when left out in the sun!
We have finally come to the end of our journey, and the question remains: Would you make or buy your mattress cover? Although I decided to follow the do-it-yourself rules to create an impressive mattress cover, I still feel buying one is a bit easier. But if you want something with a touch of your personality then it’s better to make one. Whichever direction you choose to take, always make sure that it fits your specific tastes!