A perfect getaway to Nilgiri Hills, Ooty is among the best hill stations in Tamil Nadu. Ooty is a famous hill station that offers beautiful views of the tourists and a serene and peaceful environment away from the modern running life. The Blue Mountains- Nilgiris is the major reason that gathers a large crowd of tourists here. The picturesque views of mountains, valleys and beautiful tea gardens, and the hospitality that the town offers have contributed to the popularity of the place. Many Bollywood films have also been shot here. You can book Ooty hotels online, where you can also avail many discounts that would suit your budget.
While on a road trip, there are many things you need to keep in mind if you are a true traveller. You will find many tourist attractions on the way as well that you cannot afford to miss. So, let’s begin and enjoy your journey:
- You can choose any mode of transport to reach Ooty, but the road is one of the most enjoyable modes that will take you to Ooty from Mysore. You can take a leading road to Ooty from Mysore, and you will experience the nature to its fullest. You may pass through the Mysore airport on to Nanjangud and Gundlupet. Small Lakes are the prevalent and major attraction on this way offering great picturesque views for the visitors. On the way, is Himvad Gopalswamy Betta that is a hill covered with fog almost all the year and has a temple on the top as well. Tourists usually go for a short trek that is located few kilometres from Gundlupet.
- While moving towards Ooty, you would also pass through Bandipur National park that is now a proper Project Tiger Reserve. Earlier it was a private hunting ground for Mysore Royals. Kabini, Moyar, and Nugu rivers can be seen on the way along with the endangered species of flora and fauna. Alongside, you can find Mudumalai National Park and Wildlife Sanctuary. The sanctuary is home to Bengal tiger, Indian leopard, and White-rumped Vulture.
- Devala is the next valley that receives the third highest rainfall in India. On the way, you will also find Pine Forest that is a beautiful and foggy place where you can spend few minutes to get some beautiful clicks. Moving forward is the viewpoints- Needle Rock and Frog Hill offering amazing views of forest cover.
- Pykara lake and waterfalls will enrich your road trip experience with the existence of Mukurthi National Park. The park was created for the protection of Nilgiri Tahr, and casual tourism has been banned here, though some special groups are allowed to trek and camp here.
- You can also put a halt to your journey at Emerald village and enjoy the views of Emerald lake situated in Silent Valley. With permission from District Forest Office in Ooty, you can visit the forests here. Along with this, you can indulge in panoramic views of tea plantations and Nilgiri Hills.
While driving from Mysore to Ooty, you should take care of the curves and hairpins that are exciting, but you need to be careful. Also when you are on Masinagudi route, keep your eyes on the way as it is very narrow and steep. You can savour fruits on the way and make sure that you do not litter and smoke in the forest area. So, now you know how you can convert your road trip into a memorable journey. But make sure that you book Ooty hotel online so that you don’t have to wander to find a room for your stay.