Interior Design Tips Every Mom Should Follow
Do you ever look at your house and think it’s a bit dull? You don’t necessarily have to let this be, as you can actually whip out your design wish list and pull off an awesome interior design. That’s right – you can actually transform your house into an interior design haven with the right perspective and the right frame of mind. Not only that, but you can pull this off without popping off your wallet and spending too much on furniture and accessories. Here’s a few tips you can consider following:
- Be aware of your colors and textures. If you want to pull off stunning interior design, you might want to pay attention to colors and textures you want to use. A lot of decisions with regards to your furniture and accessories rely on how you use your colors. So, you should probably decide on what sort of colors and textures you want to use, and then check how you want to proceed with your design from there.
- Check on the kind of room you want to decorate. If you have a small room, use lighter and softer colors to make your room seem larger. Conversely, if you have a larger room, you can use darker colors to compress or make the room seem a bit more boxed-in.
- Don’t hesitate to mix up textures and patterns for your home.
- Space has a lot to do with room design. You might have read design tips that state you should “use your space properly.” This pertains to both the space you use and you don’t use. It can greatly help add to your home’s appeal if you know how you want to utilize your space at home.
- Use mirrors to adjust the perception of space at home. If you have a small room, try to use a set of small rooms or one big room to make it seem larger. Likewise, don’t add too much mirrors to a room if you want to make it seem smaller.
- Take advantage of your space through mirrors. You can use decorative mirrors instead of artworks to add dimension and light in your living space. You can use either large or small mirrors in this regard to achieve this effect.
- Plan how you want to use your space carefully. A lot of people tend to buy furniture too small or too large to a space. So instead of just going all out with your furniture, organize your decorations according to the furniture you want to use. Think of the kind of balance your space will have. Try to think of how you want to distribute elements in your space, especially as to how they can affect their overall visual weight.
- Lighting helps your rooms pop. Another element you can take advantage of when it comes to house design is your choice and approach in lighting. Sometimes, it’s lighting that sets a home apart, as it can emphasize or “hide” certain elements of homes.
- Make use of natural lighting. If there’s a way for you to position windows that takes advantage of sunlight and moonlight, try to do so. And if it’s possible, try to have a mirror directly across your room’s windows. This adds instant light to your room.
- Add the right kind of bulbs in your living space. You can choose LED bulbs instead of fluorescent bulbs as LED bulbs are extremely energy-efficient. Not to mention, certain LED bulbs actually look great and can add a decorative flair at home.
- You don’t necessarily have to stick with manipulating your lighting literally. You can also add a bit of flair with your choice of light switches. Elegant-looking controls can add a bit of spectacle and sophistication to your overall home design.
- Add flair through personalization. Just because you want to follow particular interior design patterns doesn’t mean you can’t add your own personal flair to your home’s design. When it comes to furniture and accessories, don’t hesitate to choose styles of furniture and accessories that you like to add in your rooms. Remember, this is your house – so you and your family have the main say on how it should look.
- Add variety to your home by mixing and matching textures and patterns you want to add to rooms. Smooth walls alongside rough textures with fabrics can bring a lot of dimension and warmth to your house. A lot of times, awesome house designs rely mixing and matching different textures and fabrics to achieve depth and impact.
- You can get creative when it comes to decorating your homes. In fact, we encourage you to decorate your home in a way that reflects your style, your personality, and what message you want your home to receive. Certain heirlooms and decorative items can have sentimental value, all of which can tell a story of their own.
- Choosing your own style is important, because we don’t want you spending on your Sears card or your savings just to pull off design trends you see online. Adding your personal twist to your home design definitely adds a lot of life to your home.
- Go natural with your furniture, decorations. One of the best ways you can pull off awesome interior design is going natural with your furniture and decorations. Adding a bit of green and brown to any interior design motif can add depth, texture, and life (sometimes literally) to any home. These can range from wooden furniture and decorations, actual plants, and even simple green and brown paints. Adding these to your home can give rooms an elegant and stylish spin, regardless if your home design is a classical design or a modern design.
- Wicker baskets can add a lot of texture to your home. Not only do they seem elegant, they’re very economic as well. They can store things such as blankets, towels, toys, decor magazines, and even display books. You can have these baskets in countertops or in any part of the room to help your storage needs and to give life to your house.
- Antiques usually add a different “natural” spin to your home decoration. Antique stuff comes in different shapes and sizes, and can range from artwork to decorations and furniture that can definitely add a unique flair to your house. This works best if you buy wooden antiques, as they can fit with almost any home approach.
Moms and Interior Design: All About Personal Taste
When it comes to pulling off awesome design for your home, you don’t necessarily have to spend a ton of money. With the above tips in mind, it helps to always remember that sometimes the best designs come from the mixing and matching of great trends, concepts, and adding a bit of personal flair. Hopefully, this article and the above tips will be able to help you have a basic idea on how best to decorate your home, especially when it comes to trendy interior design.