The Big Apple, The City That Never Sleeps and the City of Dreams – they say that New York is so great, they named it twice and to be honest, it’s easy to see why! But did you know that there’s so much more to New York City then the Statue of Liberty and Central Park?
New York is not only a great place to travel to and explore, but it’s also a hive of stories, historical events and the setting for thousands upon thousands of TV shows, novels and movies! They say if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere so, if you’re thinking of broadening your travel horizons, then New York should be at the top of your list.
Remember, if you are thinking about travelling then you should always invest in travel insurance – don’t worry if you have a history of medical issues – try searching for pre existing conditions travel insurance! It’s better to be safe, than sorry!
But for now, let’s get back to the City that never sleeps!
- When we picture New York, we all envisage an incredible concrete jungle and miles and miles of stunning metropolis as far as the eye can see, but did you know that New York is actually greener than you might think? In fact, 14% of the city itself is parkland, that’s about 29,000 acres!
- And don’t worry if parkland isn’t your thing, did you know that New York also boast around 14 miles worth of beaches? From Staten Island to Coney Island, you could be spoilt for choice when it comes to planning a day at the beach.
- Back in the 1800’s, the city’s sanitation system wasn’t as intricate as it is now, so instead of your reliable old garbage truck, pigs were allowed to roam the city, eating trash as they went!
- Everyone is familiar with the iconic yellow cab. But do you know why it’s yellow? Well, in 1907 the colour yellow was suggested by a car salesman. Why? Because yellow is easier to spot from a distance!
- Forget Fort Knox, did you know that New York’s Federal Reserve Bank Vault is the largest depository for the monetary gold in the world?
- NYC is so linguistically diverse that over 800 languages are spoken there.
- There are so many different eateries and restaurants in NYC, that if you dined at a different new one every day for 12 years you still wouldn’t have visited them all! That’s food for thought!
- You know those amazing performers on the subway? Did you know that they have to audition each year before the MTA (Metropolitan Transport Authority) if they want to keep performing there? No just anyone can entertain the commuters of NYC.
- Apparently, it is completely legal to walk around NYC topless! We wouldn’t recommend it though!
- According to statistics, there is a birth in NYC every 4.4 minutes.
- According to statistics, there is a death in NYC every 9.1 minutes.
When you are ready to leave the city and get some camping in, you wont have to go for far to find amazing parks and open land.