Spread the love
Top Ten Kitchen Timesavers and Hacks from Grandma’s Everywhere (with bonus)
- If two drinking glasses become stuck together after stacking, it’s not impossible to unstick them. Just put ice in the inner glass and dunk the outer glass in warm water. The warm glass will expand and the cold glass will contract, making the glasses separate easily.
- Did grandpa ever give you a drink of cola for an upset tummy? It turns out that this is actually a pretty effective remedy. The sugar and carbonation can soothe many tummy problems – but it can also exacerbate others
- When making a soup, sauce, or casserole that ends up too fatty or greasy, drop in an ice cube. The ice will attract the fat, which you can then scoop out.
- If your loaf of bread is starting to go stale, just put a piece of fresh celery in the bag and close it back up. For some reason, this restores a fresh taste and texture to the bread.
- To clean fruit stains off of your fingers, rub them with a fresh, peeled potato. White vinegar can also do the trick.
- Toothpaste is a great silver cleaner.
- After boiling pasta or potatoes, cool the water and use it to water your house plants. The water contains nutrients that your plants will love.
- Don’t store your bananas in a bunch or in a fruit bowl with other fruits. Separate your bananas and place each in a different location. Bananas release gases which cause fruits (including other bananas) to ripen quickly. Separating them will keep them fresh longer.
- When boiling eggs, add a pinch of salt to keep the shells from cracking.
- Never put citrus fruits or tomatoes in the fridge. The low temperatures degrade the aroma and flavor of these persnickety fruits.